In the year 1613, a moat protecting the inhabitants of Munich from enemies could still be found on the site where the Hotel Concorde stands today. As Munich developed, the city grew, the old city walls were razed to the ground and the Graggenau district – as the north-eastern district of the old part of town is still called today – took shape.
The word "Graggenau" contains the word "Au", which means "meadow". The area bordering on the north was still known as the "Hirschau"("stag meadow") until the 18th century and was used by the members of the House of Wittelsbach as a game reserve. (Today, it's the "English Garden"). It was probably the "Graggen" (= Kracken = crows) that gave this meadow landscape its name (Graggen-Au). The Graggenau has always been the district in Munich, in which the rulers established their power. This was the location of the Adelsviertel ("noble quarter) with all its residences and the "Alter Hof" ("old court") in the north-east. Even today, the Graggenau district is considered perhaps the most prestigious district in the city.


The most important factor in a hotel is not the number of rooms or how they are furnished, but the friendliness and flexibility of its staff.


In 1974
Josef and Franziska Koschuschmann opened the building at Herrenstrasse 38 as a hotel.

In 1985
the adjoining building in Herrenstrasse 40 was acquired and, by 1987, it and an annex had been converted into a hotel. Until 1995 the hotel was run by various operators, until the daughter of its founders, Ruth Koschuschmann (who had run the hotel from 1985 to 1987), took over its management. Under her direction the hotel has been and is being constantly modernized.

These days, the Hotel Concorde, a boutique hotel in the classic sense, is regarded as an insider tip among visitors to Munich and is appreciated by discerning international tourists as well as by business people and artists.